Check out the “Food Manual: Doughnuts” post for tips and information on how to make amazing doughnuts.
1 (.25 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
¼ cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoons melted butter
3 cups all-purpose flour
2- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.
- In a medium bowl beat the egg. Then beat in melted butter, sugar, salt, and warm water.
- Mix the wet ingredients into 2 cups of flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed, or stirring with a wooden spoon. Mix in remaining flour 1/4 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl.
- Use the remaining flour to flour the kneading space, the dough, and your hands. Turn the dough onto the floured surface then flour the top of the dough. Knead for about 10-15 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Use window technique to determine if ready.
- Place the dough into a greased bowl, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double (about an hour and a half). Dough is ready if you touch it, and the indention remains.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. For handmade doughnuts, cut the doughnut into strips about 6 inches by 1 inch. Then connect the end of these strip to form a circle. Press down on the circle to flatten the doughnut a bit and to make the hole in the center of the doughnut proper size. Place on greased baking sheet or wax paper.
- Allow the shaped doughnuts to double in size (about 40 minutes)
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or Dutch oven to 325-350 degrees F. Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula or slotted spoon. Turn doughnuts over when the doughnut becomes golden brown. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack or paper towels.
¾ cup of white chocolate
1 tsp of vanilla
½ cup of powdered sugar
3 tbs of cream
4 tbs of milk
1 squeezed blackberry
Servings: 12 doughnuts
Total Cook time: 2 hours and 30 minutes