I just finished a super detailed “Food Manuals” post, so I’m going to take a break from the science on this recipe. Be sure to look at that Food Manuals post though because it has everything you need to know about how to customize the texture of waffles. This waffle is intentionally soft to best complement the fried chicken.
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons of sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk milk
3 tbs of vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Butter, and syrup, for serving
Optional- Fried Chicken
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar (to prevent starch clumping), baking powder, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Combine the wet ingredients: Beat the egg until light. Then beat the vegetable oil into the egg. Add the milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Then mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Let the batter sit for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a waffle iron. Follow the directions on your waffle iron to cook the waffles.
- Top the waffle with the fried chicken and serve with syrup, hot sauce, or various spreads.
Makes 3 waffles