½ stick of butter (Cut into pieces)
½ cup of heavy cream
2 ½ cups of milk
1 cup of sugar
6 egg yolks
2 tsp of vanilla extract
4 cups of very hot water
Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Add the butter to a medium sized pot and turn the stove to medium temperature. Allow the butter to begin to come to a boil, then constantly stir the pot until the butter begins to brown.When butter is medium brown color add the milk and cream to the pot and bring to a simmer. Then take pot off the stove.
- Whisk the egg yolks, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract together.
- While whisking, slowly pour all of the milk and butter mixture into the egg yolks. If there is foam present, skim the foam off of the top of the custard.
- Strain the custard into ramekins or tea cups.
- Cover the ramekins or tea cups with aluminum foil. Then place on a baking pan with raised edges. Place the baking pan in the oven. Then pour the hot water onto the baking pan. Stop when the water comes half way up the sides of the ramekins.
- Bake the custards for 45 minutes to an hour (cooking time varies). The custards are done when the outside edges of the custard has set, but the middle is still a little wobbly. Internal temperature about 175F, if you have a food thermometer.