Without a doubt, my favorite cookies are chocolate chip, but sometimes I have a craving for something that’s sweet without chocolate. Blasphemy I know, but in these rare times I go for sugar cookies. This time I decided to make sugar cookie sandwiches using cream cheese frosting.
It is nearly impossible to create the same exact product each time this method is used. This is because each time a person makes a recipe, they will cream the dough differently. Without knowing it, each time a person makes a cookie the person will create a cookie with a slightly different structure and texture.
In theory, it might be possible to control the amount of creaming via creaming for a set time period. However, due to the temperature of the butter, the temperature of the room, and humidity even if the amount of timed spent creaming is constant the cookie will be slightly different. If a person mixes by hand, controlling the amount of creaming can be even more difficult.
In most cases, these differences don’t alter the product to a noticeable extent unless there are huge differences in the amount of creaming a person does. (ie. Creaming until the sugar just disappears vs. light and fluffy)
1 3/8 c All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/4 tsp of baking powder
1/2 cup of softened butter
3/4 cup of white sugar
1 egg yolk
½ tsp of vanilla extract
2 tablespoons of cream + ½ tsp lemon juice (or vinegar)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth (Cream until sugar disappears, DO NOT OVERCREAM).
- Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in dry ingredients. Mix in the cream and lemon juice.
- Freeze the dough for 30 minutes.
- Roll rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Let stand for 2 minutes before removing to cool on a rack.
- When cookies cool, add the cream cheese frosting to the bottom of one cookie and use another cookie as a sandwich.
Makes 12 sandwich cookies
Cream cheese frosting
4 oz of butter
4 oz of cream cheese
2 cups of powdered sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
- Cream the butter and cream cheese together
- Mix in the powdered sugar in intervals
- Mix in vanilla